Map: Milo’s Property in Oxford, Idaho

June 15, 2011

View Milo’s Property in Oxford, Idaho in a larger map.

According to county records, Milo bought 35 acres in Oxford, Idaho in 1885 for $950.

See the above map for the approximate location of his property. The property would have been on both sides of the highway.

He lived here until his death in 1893.

Map: Milo’s Properties in St. George, Utah

June 1, 2011


View Milo’s Properties in St. George, Utah in a larger map.


Milo lived in St. George, Utah from 1873-1881. According to Washington county property records, Milo owned three properties during that time:

1.  130 East St. George Boulevard

From 1875 to 1879 Milo owned Lot 2 Block 27 Plat A. This is on the south side of present-day St. George Blvd. between 100 East and 200 East. It is now the east side of the Sunfirst Bank.


2.  272 South 100 East

From 1876 to 1882 Milo owned Lot 1 Block 2 Plat A.

He bought it from Miles P. Romney for $2,000. He sold it to Moses T. Farnsworth in 1882. The house on the property had two front entrances and seems to have had two families living in it. At least two of Milo’s wives, Mary Webster and Margaret Boyce, lived with him in St. George.

The house is still standing. In front of it is a plaque entitled “Romney-Andrus Home.” The plaque lists the different owners of the house from 1862 to 1936. Milo and the house are mentioned on the Washington County Historical Society website and in the booklet, “Landmark and Historic Sites,” published by the city of St. George in 2009 (pp. 45-1 through 45-2).


3. Price Farm (Bloomington, Utah)

In county records Milo is listed as the trustee for Price farm, which was operated under the United Order. This whole area was known as Price City and was along the Virgin River in what is now Bloomington Gardens in Bloomington, Utah. Price City was a farming area that never really flourished.


4. James Andrus Homes: 196 West 100 South and 164 West 100 South

Milo’s oldest son, James, from first wife Abigail Daley, moved to St. George in 1886. He had two wives, Laura Gibson and Manomas Gibson.  He built a house for Laura at 196 West 100 South and a house for Manomas on the same street at 164 West 100 South.

According to the Washington County Historical Society, “James moved his families to St. George from his ranch in Canaan in 1886. He was known as the cattle baron of southern Utah. He was a pioneer, Indian fighter, bishop, businessman, statesman, and accomplished equestrian.”



Map: Milo’s Property in Nauvoo and the Nauvoo 5th Ward Boundaries

June 1, 2011

Read more

Driving Tour: Milo Andrus Historic Sites near Salt Lake City

May 10, 2011

Read more

Map: Granite Paper Mill

May 10, 2011

Read more

Map: Milo’s Residence in Liverpool

May 10, 2011

Read more

Maps of the Missions Served by Milo Andrus for the LDS Church

May 1, 2011

Read more

A Map of Major Events in Milo’s Life

March 12, 2011

  Read more

Map: Milo’s Big Cottonwood Property

December 29, 2006

View Larger Map
4690 S. Holladay Blvd., Holladay, Utah


After moving to Utah in 1850, Milo settled in the Big Cottonwood area, 12 miles south of Salt Lake City. He lived here off and on between missions and other assignments from 1850-1870.  Around 1858 we know he was serving as the LDS bishop of the Big Cottonwood ward.  This area is now part of Holladay, Utah.


Currently the Holladay Pharmacy is on this property.  Outside the pharmacy is a plaque telling about Milo and his wife, Ann Brooks, and about what Holladay was like when they lived there.

Close By

Four blocks south on Holladay Boulevard is Milo Way, presumably named after Milo. There is an LDS chapel on Milo Way and Andrus Family reunions have been held here in the past.

Milo is buried a few miles south of here in the Holladay Memorial Park cemetary (4900 Memory Ln, Holladay, UT — just east of the former Cottonwood Mall).


Photos (Click each photo to see a larger version.)


Looking south from the Holladay Pharmacy.


Looking east to Mt. Olympus. (This may have been the view out Milo’s front door.)


Plaque erected by Holladay City about Milo and Ann Brooks in front of the Holladay Pharmacy.


A close-up on the plaque.